Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Baby development...

At Birth puppies:


  •  have a good sense of smell 
  • have sensation of feeling 
  •  have the ability to taste 
  •  have the ablilty to cry 


New Puppy Facts:


  •  Puppies will double their birth weight in the first week 
  • Puppies cannot walk yet and will 'wriggle' their way to mommy for milk 
  • Puppies will cry if they are hungry, hot or cold 
  •  Puppies will eat every 2 hours and sleep in between snuggling with littermates for warmth 


About Puppy's new Body


  • 0-14 Days Eyes are not fully developed and fused shut at birth Eyes will open at about 12 days and will be blue They will have limited vision of shadows and light 
  •  Ear canals are sealed up and puppy can't hear 
  •  Ears begin to open around 10 days and puppy will hear well by the time eyes open 


 15-21 Days


  •  Still dependent on mommy yet starting to notice siblings  
  • Has more mobility yet still cannot 'walk' 
  •  Will start being able to potty on their own 
  •  Pups will struggle to balance while standing 
  •  Will start to play with litter mates in an un-coordinated way! 
  • Around 19 dayspups are bossing momma around! 


3-6 Weeks


  • A time of increased independence and less reliance on mommy
  •  Pups start developing social skills Gain control of body temperature (around 100 degrees)
  •  Pups start going potty on their own Hearing is accurate and pups can start learning some basic commands and name
  •  Puppies sleep less and play more with increased mobility Character and personality shine through and should be encouraged with play things
  •  Time to expose puppies to household sounds, phone, vacuum, garbage disposal, etc.. Grooming and discouragement of play biting with humans
  •  May start eating puppy food 7-16 Weeks Pups learn to be members of the 'pack' 


 Around 8 weeks

  •  pups start to go to new homes as they are fully developed At 8 weeks they are receptive to experience and tolerate change better than other age 
  •  Potty training can be started 


Time to show puppy the WORLD! Good time to start puppy socialization classes Pups must still sleep a lot, and gentle play - no stairs, long walks, jumping or rough play

4 comments:

  1. I would not recommend taking a puppy out until shot were complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not questioning you, I agree, but what are YOUR reasons? I understand completely, I live in the country, I want my dogs vaccinated for EVERYTHING because of the wild animals, and flea and tick prevention is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should clarify. By "out" I was talking about more public place...dog parks or Pet stores. Not outside. I would want to limit the exposure to parvo, parasites from unvaccinated dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I understand completely, I don't take my dogs to public places like that but they do ride in my truck with me, so they could get sick if not vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete