Thursday, November 10, 2011

almost a public service announcement

My pups were accidental, but both momma and daddy have been health tested, I just don't have the mother registered which is a long story in itself, so puppys aren't registered. I refuse to publicly advertise them, they are not for sale. all but one have forever homes and all new owners are previous boxer owners,and over 25 and all want pups 'fixed' also, i have a deal where if the new owners dont want the pups or find out they cant take care of them, the pups come back to me, i have the money and time to take care of them. My question for you is how long after the mom gives birth do I have to wait to have her spayed and how old do the puppies have to be before I can get them spayed. I know it was irresponsible of me as an owner, but I do want to not have it happen again, and i just don't know the answers

Some of the answers I got from the wonderful people at boxerforums.org are as follows:



From Willow:

Simply admitting that it was a mistake goes a long ways here, I have to tell ya..Yes mistakes do happen, we all know that, and i commend you on wanting to ensure that the new owners of the puppies do the responsible thing as well..There are a lot of thoughts on when it's best to spay/neuter. I believe there are some articles here in the sub section that you may want to take a look at. A lot of people with males, like to hold off on neutering until around 18 mos to allow the dog to grow, some feel that early neutering can stunt that. Some feel that you should let a female have one season before spay, some say otherwise, so I think you can see arguments can be made for each side and as a owner looking for good homes, you may want to structure a contract with some guidlines regarding that..Are there other dogs in the new household, male or female, dominant or submissive, all those COULD play a role in when you may want the new owners to do.. My personal situation is this, I have 3, Angel is 6, shes spayed due to a prolapse after her first season, Flick is 3 1/2, he is intact still, we had hoped to breed him with my breeders guidance, but his health testing didn't come back with real good results. My breeder said I can neuter, if I wish, but left the decision totally up to me. Now we have Morgan who is 16 mos, he had only one testicle descend so nuetering was done and I also agreed as he is a pet only with Missi to neuter anyways, however she had given me the option, if his other testicle descended to wait until he was older to allow him time to grow and boy has he!! My dogs never run free, they are always leashed when leaving the property, they do not interact with many other dogs unless I know that it will be a good meeting for all. So I take all the steps I can to ensure that Flick, as he is intact doesn't go running wild, so to speak. He is not an overly aggresive dog, far from it actually, so why should I neuter? So these are all things you need to take into consideration... Hope this was some help

From SuzyQsmom

My vet still recommends spaying and neutering after 6 months old, but some do it very young. As for the mother, I don't know. Just call your vet and see what they recommend.

Very informative answers very great understanding people who answered I definately will reccomend this site to all who adopt my pups or just own a boxer period

No comments:

Post a Comment